10 April 2011

headaches & bruises

Are both a sign of a good night for Samantha. Last night was Tietgen's much anticipated Ladies Night. It was good fun dressing up in cocktail dresses and sipping drinks made by hired professional bartenders, at very very discounted prices I might add. In Copenhagen you can easily pay $20 for a good cocktail.

The dorm life in Copenhagen is much different from the dorm life at UCLA. I remember one time my freshman year for instance when we had a beer pong tournament in our common room... well root beer pong that is. Then my sophomore year my roommate Hannah I decided that we wanted to have candles in our room, but when it came time for room checks we had to make sure they were hidden away. I think there would be an all out violent revolt if Danish students were told that they could not burn candles... probably after beer, big windows, and hot dogs, candles have to be one of the most loved things by Danes.

My kitchen's Beer Fridge
And probably the most obvious difference is that every student dorm here in Copenhagen has some sort of bar or party room. Here at Tietgen, arguably the best student residence in Denmark and maybe even Scandinavia, we have contracts with Carlsberg, very smart business move on their part! Because of these agreements each kitchen has their own fridge stocked with any combination of drinks depending on the preference of the people living in the kitchen. Possibilities include an array of Coke products, ginger ale, tonic water (Danes love their gin & tonics), Cocio (heavenly Danish chocolate milk that is ideal for hangovers, definitely had one this morning), Tuborg Grøn, Tuborg gold, Carlsberg classic, regular Carlsberg etc. The Tietgen bar has then been outfitted with taps of various Carlsberg beers.

So it is safe to say that no one has ever gone thirsty in our fair dorm! Or broke for that matter because one beer from the beer fridge only costs about 5,50dkk or about $1, and at the bar all drinks are also cheap.

I think this is a really great style of student housing because instead of dangerously riding your bike home drunk, you can just stumble into the elevator and crawl into your bed... or if you have had a really good night, seek the solace of your toilet, nej tak!

Well this post was mostly just me putting off all this reading that I have piled next to me in the Tietgen study room. Ohh something else to touch upon (haha such a good procrastinator) in addition to facilitating our drunkness and party animal instincts, Tietgen also offers an array of both common and private study rooms which have proven very useful since my final exams are looming. Okie doke guess I better get to it, vi ses!

No comments:

Post a Comment